Friday, January 10, 2014

Look At Her Go: Reviewin' Reviewin': The Chaos of Stars




The Chaos of Stars




Kiersten White




/


As we should all know by now, if you're an author and you want me to read your book, put mythology in it. Any type, any variety, from around the world. Myths, folklore, even just a campfire story that's been passed down for generations, if its mythology, I'm there. So that's what first drew me to The Chaos of Stars. I've only ever read Rick Riordan's take on Egyptian mythology, and this drew me in immediately for that reason.

Plus the cover. LOOK AT IT. Those stupid covers with their beautiful script and prettiness, always dragging me in.

This book centers around a girl named Isadora, who grows up in a relatively normal childhood in Egypt... or so she thinks. But her perspective's pretty skewed since her mother is Isis and her father is Osiris, ancient Egyptian gods. So she grows up with them until she reaches that lovely stage in her teenage years where she decides she doesn't like them anymore, and begs to be sent to live with her brother in San Diego. However, as she settles into a new life, complete with a mysterious and beautiful guy on the horizon, Isadora is unaware of a growing danger back home in Egypt, and the fact that, when your mother is an immortal goddess, there is little escape.

I didn't expect to love this book. Honestly, I didn't. And in the interest of keeping this a non-spoilery review, I'm not going to say exactly what made my mind up that I loved it, but it had something to do with unexpected plot details and blue eyes. But I really did fall in love with the world, as well. The way that the gods and goddesses are portrayed- as busy people, working parents- was something that I truly enjoyed reading. I'd never seen the mythology set up that way, and that was something very refreshing to see.

I also fell in love with the characters. Now, you might have seen, as I did before I started this book, about the interwebs something about Isadora being a whiny main character. You know what, spoiler alert- SHE IS. But she's also an angry, frustrated teenager, acting out against her parents. Her annoying-ness is what makes her real. Look around, you'll find many Isadoras in your life. But, the main point is that she gets better. The characters that are placed around her redeem her in innumerable ways, and I was so deeply enthralled with Tyler and Scott and Deena and Sirius and even Isis and the other gods. They formed a perfect cast of characters. AND THEN THERE'S RY. BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL RY. I fell in love with him on the very first page that he was mentioned.

So yeah, I honestly just enjoyed the reading of this book. It was nice to just sit back and get lost in this story. I let myself be open to it, and I think that's why I loved it so much. I would definitely recommend it to lovers of mythology and lovers of sweet stories in general.

Quotes: (didn't write the pages for these... sorry!)

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” 

“I will fill myself with the desert and the sky. I will be stone and stars, unchanging and strong and safe. The desert is complete; it is spare and alone, but perfect in its solitude. I will be the desert.” 

Hope you've enjoyed! 

xx 

Sunny


1 comment:

  1. I've heard you tell me about this book and how I need to read it- I definitely want to! Yes, cover appreciation, love, love, love. And I've heard the same that she was an annoying character, that was what made me hesitant to pick it up, especially because (I'm pretty sure) it's a stand alone so there's no more room for character development after this. But I'm definitely going to plan to pick it up now and read it. I love mythology in books and I'm familiar with Egyptian mythology. I'm so excited for this now, thank you for convincing me to read, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete

80% Read the Printed Word!