Tuesday, January 27, 2015

top ten tuesday: if i had a book club

Top ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, and is a weekly feature where every week there is a different theme, and you must come up with a list of ten things under that theme. This week, the theme is "January 27: Ten Books I'd Love to Read With My Book Club/If I Had A Book Club (or you could pick a specific kind of book club -- like if you had a YA book club or an adult book club or a science fiction book club etc.)" List is under the cut!



So, I think I'm going to go for a non-themed book club, because I'd like to focus on books that, no matter what genre they're in, have a lot of layers, and lend themselves easily to deep discussion.

1. I'll Give You The Sun – Jandy Nelson. I just think that this book has so much to offer, from the plot to the style to the writing, and I would love to have a group of people to talk about every single detail of this book with.

2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R Tolkien. I adore this book, but I haven't read it in a long time. I think it would be interesting to read it with a group of people, just to see it from different perspectives, because the book is so dense.

3. Eleanor and Park – Rainbow Rowell. This book is a coming of age story; it's about first love, dealing with how you view yourself and others, family issues, and also tragedy. In my opinion, perfect for a book club setting.

4. Ready Player One – Ernest Cline. I love the dystopian feeling of the world in this book, which would lend itself to discussion on its own, but there is also a lot going on in this book which is morally and ethically questionable, which would add another interesting layer to conversation.

5. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott. As one of my favorite books of all time, I would love to read this with other people, just to see if they love the same parts I do, and mostly just to see it with fresh eyes, since I've read it on my own so many times.
P.S I have this edition and it is SO CUTE.


6. The Book Thief – Markus Zusak. This is such a powerful and emotional story, and I think both of those facts would be enhanced by sharing your experience with this particular book with a group, especially one of close friends or family. It would make the emotion, especially at the end, that much more intense. 





7. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe – Benjamin Alire Sáenz. Oh god, I love this book. I also think it's very real, there are many angles from which you can look at it, and it is about two of the most basic things in the world. Best friends and first loves.


8. Jellicoe Road – Melina Marchetta. This book keeps you guessing until the very last minute, and I would love to see how everyone reacts to the reveal, as well as all the theories presented along the way. This is a fun and engaging read, which would keep everyone interested, but it also hits you to your very core as well.




9. The Westing Game – Ellen Raskin. This is another book that will give you twists and turns and a huge mystery right up until the very end. Even though this is a middle grade book, I think it would still be perfect for a book club. It represents the mystery genre without being anything too huge or something that you have to really commit to to get through.


10. Crash and Burn – Michael Hassan. I would love to read this book as sort of a psychological thriller. Even though I wouldn't say it was one of my favorite books that I've ever read, it was definitely interesting and very different, and had some gasp aloud moments that would be worth sharing.





Now I wish I actually had a book club to read these with!! Leave some of your picks in the comments! :)

xx
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

80% Read the Printed Word!