Tuesday, February 10, 2015

top ten tuesday: things i like/dislike in a romance

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish! This week's theme is "February 10: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books"

Now. Obviously one of my favorite things ever in books is their romances, and sometimes I will go back to a book just because of the romance, whenever I need a pick me up. However, there are certain things that can make or break a fictional relationship for me, so here's a list of those.

Dislikes 

1. Instalove- I think this is probably on a lot of peoples' dislikes list, but when two people in a story see each other and immediately feel like their lives are connected and they aren't going to ever be able to live without this other person that they just met, I just don't find it believable. It's very cringey for me when this happens, and more often than not, the book is going to end up a DNF from me. 

2. Love Triangles where the main character is trying to decide between two siblings. Ok I know that's pretty specific but honestly, love triangles have to be done just so for me to really enjoy them, and it kind of skeevs me out when there are two brothers fighting over the same girl, or vice versa. 

3. Pressure to stay in a relationship. Someone who is making comments like "I'll be dead if you leave" or "you can't leave I won't be able to go on without you." or pressurey things like "I'll just follow you if you go." I think to a certain degree, telling someone you don't want to live without them is ok, but when you resort to guilting someone into staying with you when they want to leave, that is when a line is crossed for me. 

4. When they keep secrets from each other that you know are going to hurt the relationship later. OH GOD. this just makes me want to die. I know its for the sake of creating conflict and tension, but literally a little honesty could fix all the problems in half the books I read.

5. relationships with no spark. I love the characters that physically can't make themselves stay away from each other, so when a couple is just ehh it makes me want to put the book down. 

Likes

1. Hate to Love relationships. I love love love when snarky bantering and insults turns into "wait-he's-actually-so-hot-let-me-insult-him-more-to-hide-my-feelings." and then there's lots and lots of kissing after that. 

2. Childhood friends with lots of history. I always wanted a cute boy to live next door to me so we could be best friends and then fall in love. but since that never happened to me, I settle for squealing about it in books. 

3. Nicknames in different languages. This is a huge yes from me. Especially when coupled with like #1. When someone starts calling someone something cute in another language to hide their feelings,  that's the shit I like. And like obviously no one is going to call you "precious angel fighter" in English, but like when there's a word in elvish that sums that up and a sexy guy says it to the girl he loves, WOO. 

4. When they know its right. I love it, when the full realization of love comes to a character, they totally commit to the other person. Even if they don't explain their feelings right away, as long as there is no waffling in their head. 

5. Badass guys and Badass girls getting together to kick ass while they tell each other how much they love each other. Yeah that's what I'm here for basically. I love it when both parties are more than capable of taking care of themselves, and everyone knows it, and FEARS THEM. 

ok so that's my list of likes and dislikes!! what are some of your picks?
you can find all my top ten tuesday posts here!

xx

Sunny

3 comments:

  1. Nice list of turn ons and turn offs for romance in novels. Heres my link for my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-things-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment!! you have a great list :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for your comment!! I will definitely check your list out. :)

    ReplyDelete

80% Read the Printed Word!